Granite Fabricators Forum : Help : Questions

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:41 am 

I had granite countertops installed last week.  They look very good and I am happy.  Of course, right after the installers left, I noticed that a small repair was made within the inner rim of the cutout for the sink, right where the granite meets the stainless steel of the sink.  Looks like a small "crack" that they filled in with epoxy (actually they did a decent job to match the color of the granite, its polished and can't be felt with a finger, but you can still tell its there).  But, the "crack" continues upward toward the top of the counter, but does not quite reach the top.  The crack is hard to see, but you can catch it with your fingernail.  The "crack" is in the inner portion of the rim, which is a part of the narrow area between the cutout for the sink and the edge of the front of the countertop. So if you are washing dishes, this is the area you would lean against.  If I look underneath the area that has the "crack", I see that it extends on the underneath portion of the countertop, but I can't tell how far it goes because this is the area where the granite meets the sink.

Questions: 1. What is the difference between a fissure and a crack?  I understand fissures are naturally occuring, but isn't a crack a crack?  From what I gather on the web, fissures are acceptable but cracks are not.  I'm wondering if this crack occured when they made the cut out for my sink? 2. What are the odds that this crack or fissure gets bigger over time?  If the fabricator fills it, is it pretty safe to say that the crack will not get bigger?  3. Regardless of how its fixed (or if its fixed) what effects will soap, water, coffee, all of the above have on this area?  Remember, this is right at the edge of the cut out.  It gets wet constantly 4. Isn't the fact that I can see part of a crack on the underside of the countertop a bad thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  The installers are coming back tommorrow to take a look at this.  I can live with this, but I just want to protect my investment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

1) A fissure naturally occurs and does not go through the stone while a crack is caused by something and can go through the slab. Based on what you said about this mark not being able to be felt at the bottom but able to feel it with your fingernail at the top I don't think it is a crack.

2) If it was properly filled with epoxy that will prevent it from getting larger over time as the epoxy will bond the ends of the fissure or crack.

3) If it is filled and sealed then soap, water, coffee and other regular kitchen products should not affect the stone unless they are acidic in nature. Avoid Windex as it is not the best thing for your stone.

4) Not necessarily. This is natural stone and working the stone does cause things to happen. If the fabricator took care of it it should be ok. Did you check out the contractor? Does he have good references? Does he guarantee his work? If he does then don't sweat it and enjoy your new kitchen!

Glad to be of service,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:41 am 

Thanks for the quick response.  Quick point of clarification.  I can see small cracking underneath, I just can't feel it because this is a narrow area between the cabinet and the undermount sink.  My finger won't fit to feel it. 

Also, this area is right in front of the sink, and next to the dishwasher.  So there's a lot going on.  I was thinking the movement/vibration wouldn't be good for an existing cracks.

Also, there is a warranty and I was sure the check with the BBB beforehand.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:25 am 

depends what state youre in. CA is one year on craftsmanship.

it may very well have been a fissure that was there before hand, and thats why they cut the sink where they did, to eliminate the majority of it

on the other hand, it could be that they didnt have enough support and it fractured during the install.

will you ever know the truth? probably not. it can be fixed to make it virtually invisible, but that is an expensive repair, and 99/100 shops cannot do it properly.

take a small straight edge and place it across the crack. is it level? does the straight rock back and forth?

DeMille Marble & Granite
MIA member

Check out DeMilleMarble.com